Church of St Stephen History

Click Here
 

From the Listed Buildings schedule Tameside MBC.

St Stephen Church was built in 1845 -1846 for the Church Commissioners the architect being E.H. SHELLARD. The chancel was added in 1900. Hammer dressed stone with a slate roof. It uses a three sided gallery plan with a central west tower, chancel and vestry. It is of Gothic revival design with six bay aisles (no clerestory) with weathered plinth, continuous source sill band and coped parapet above eaves band. Each bay has a weathered gableted buttress and a paired lancet window with colonnettes and hoodmoulds. Two doors below the gables are in the western most bays. Corner pinnacles. There is a five stage tower with shallow angled buttresses with nook shafts, west door, lancet openings, clock faces in front of a blind arcade, gargoyles and a broach spire with lucarnes. The later built chancel uses similar architectural vocabulary with a three Lancet east window with stained glass. The interior has a double chamfered nave arcade with heavy shaft rings to quatrefoil columns which support the arcaded gallery. There are arch braced roof trusses on moulded corbels. There is a twentieth century partition to adapt below the rear gallery. The pulpit and pews are of wood. There is a stone font and there are some stained glass windows.