From the Listed Buildings schedule Tameside MBC.

Cattle and Horse Drinking Trough. 1879. Polished Cornish granite. It was installed on behalf of Miss M. Ashworth. It is a low elongated rectangular trough comprising
two basins, one raised above pavement level the other positioned above it and set on two piers at either end of the lower basin. Spur stones protect the front faces of the piers. The front of the trough carries the inscription

'THE RIGHTEOUS MAN REGARDETH THE LIFE OF HIS BEAST'

This trough was erected at the junction of the Manchester Road and the Audenshaw Road in Audenshaw, at a time when both cattle and horses were still regular users of public highways.
It is sited adjacent to a passenger tram electricity transformer (item 1478/4/43) with which it has group value.